We have officially entered the season of cold nights and comfort food. This recipe is a healthy take on one of my all-time favorites- Chicken Pot Pie! Soothing and warming, this soup can lift your spirits while providing anti-inflammatory, gut healing and mood stabilizing benefits. Best part is that it is quick and easy to make. Sounds like a win-win to me!
Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Feeds 4-6 people
- 1 tbsp ghee or avocado oil (I prefer ghee here)
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup white onion diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup of organic russet potatoes cut into 1inch cubes. I like the red potatoes if you can find them!
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 4 cups chicken broth (I like Bonafide Chicken Bone Broth)
- 2 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 2 tsp himalaya salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- Soak cashews in water for 4 hours. If you don’t remember to do this in advance you can put the cashews in hot water and soak for ½ hour. Rinse with cool water.
- Heat cooking fat in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add in the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes until fragrant and beginning to soften.
- Add in remaining soup ingredients (except cashew cream).
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes until vegetables are soft and chicken is cooked through.
- While it’s simmering, make your cashew cream using directions above.
- Use a fork to shred the chicken right in the pot.
- Add your cashew cream and stir.
- Serve with fresh herbs.
By Tapp Francke Ingolia